Sunday, March 23, 2014

Welcome to your online discussion of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings!
 
Together with members of your book group, you’ll be reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings over the next several weeks. Although you're not required to take notes while you read, it would be wise to keep track of important events and characters for your own clarification. You are, however, expected to participate regularly and thoughtfully in an online discussion of FOUR essential questions.

Here's how it works:
Divide your book into three roughly equal sections. You need to have read and blogged about these sections by the due dates below.

There are two kinds of posts in this discussion: comments and responses.

  • Comments = direct answers to the essential questions
    • Post at least SIX comments altogether: at least TWO for each section of your book. 
    • You must comment on all of the essential questions over the course of your reading.
    • One of your nine comments can be a "free response" post.
  • Responses = direct responses to another reader’s comment or response 
    • Post at at least NINE responses altogether: at least THREE for each section of your book.
Due dates:  
  • Post your first set of comments and three responses by Monday, March 31 (Blue), & Tuesday, April 1 (Red).  
  • Post your second set of comments and responses by Monday, April 7 (Red), and Tuesday, April 8 (Blue).
  • Post your third set of comments and responses by Monday, April 14 (Blue), and Tuesday, April 15 (Red).

Essential Questions:
  1. How does the story (setting, characters, plot, etc.) illuminate aspects of African-American culture? Be specific! (Page references are helpful.) 
  2. How does the story (setting, characters, plot, etc.) illuminate aspects of African-American history?
  3. How does the main character in the book experience a coming-of-age “hero journey”? Be specific by describing particular stages in this journey.
  4. How does the story (setting, characters, plot, etc.) connect to contemporary African-American culture (i.e., current events, issues, films, songs, etc.)?
** Free-response option: Address another issue/episode/or passage in the book that you find significant for any reason.

Assessment:  

To earn maximum credit, post thoughtful responses that are at least a short paragraph in length—and carefully proofread! Do not misspell characters' or authors’ names! Also, be sure to include specific references to the text (either details or short quotations). Page numbers, too, are always helpful.

In order to start posting, click on the "comments" link in the box below.

98 comments:

  1. With the past of blacks and whites and the segregation between them, I find it weird how the whites are aloud to cross to the black side of town. In chapter 4, Bailey went to the white side of town for meat. He says that the white people aren't even people and doesn't talk to them. He got his food and left. In chapter 5, the white girls go to Grandmothers shop and was only there to make fun of her. I don't see why she couldn't kick the whites out like they do to her? I wouldn't think that the whites would be aloud to even cross the line of blacks considering families hated them so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the black families didn't have that much power because the whites could do anything they wanted back in the 1930s. Also the whites hated the blacks so much that they wanted to come over to the black side of town to make fun of them.

      Delete
    2. What question were you answering? I think they all should have seen past their disagreements and just thought of each other as equals. Or at least try to get along. I think the grandma didn't kick them out because she is older and wiser and knows not to play silly little games like that.

      Delete
    3. That's a good point Liam. I was answering the history question. I think though that grandmas personality really did show when she didn't say anything to them.

      Delete
  2. The story illuminates aspects of African- American history in the way that the African Americans were treated by the whites. For example, in chapter 5 went to the grandmother's shop and they made fun of her, and laughed at her while she just stood there and waited until they left. The story also illuminates aspects of African- American history by how in chapter 4 there was the black's part of town and the white's part of town. Also how it said that in Stamps because of the segregation most of the black children didn't even know what the whites looked like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. African-Americans and White people were treated much different. People wouldn't talk to each other because of their skin tone. I felt bad for the black children because they didn't know what white people looked like from all the segregation.

      Delete
  3. For an eight year old girl to get raped by her mothers boyfriend, Mr. Freeman, is crazy. If that had happened now he would be in jail for a long time, while in the time of this book he got bailed out. I feel like everyone cared but it wasn't such a big deal as it would be today. This would be a huge trauma to anyones life and for the man to still be out there makes it worse. I think it was a good thing that Mr. Freeman was beaten to death and killed. Rape is a terrible thing to do to someone but I think that it's going to make Marguerite (Maya) stronger. What are your guys thoughts about this terrible part of her story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that he shouldn't have been allowed to be bailed out. Rape is one of those crimes that I personally believe once someone commits it they should be locked up for life no matter what the circumstances are. I agree with the trauma part to it would be terrifying to know that the person who raped you is still out there and got no punishment for it!

      Delete
    2. Yes, its terrible that he got bailed out but I'm happy that he was killed. There has been a lot of stress taken off Maya for him now to be dead, so I hope that nothing else like that happens to her again.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The story illuminates aspects of African- American history in a couple different ways! The setting is in Arkansas where slavery was present within this period of time. Along with the segregation of blacks and whites. What confused me about this was that the whites were aloud to go to the blacks side of the town but in chapter 4 when Bailey went to the white side of town to buy some meat, he was not even seen as a person so to speak, the blacks did not communicate with him. In chapter 5 a couple whites went to the Grandmothers shop and made fun of her when she just stood there watching them until they left. It was also said to believe that most of the black children didn’t even know what the whites looked like due to the severe segregation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think this was very confusing. I would think that the black families wouldn't want their children anywhere around the white. Also I'm shocked that whites would go to the black side of town. They didn't like them so why couldn't they just stay away. There is a lot of disrespect from the whites and it's very sad.

      Delete
    2. I agree, I thought it was sad that people wouldn't even acknowledge him. I am shocked that whites would have the nerve to go into their town and make of them and the way they live.

      Delete
    3. I agree, I thought that it was pretty sad how Marguerite didn't know what rich whites looked like. I feel like segregation was taken too far! The whites and blacks not mingling nor knowing too much about each others history is sad.

      Delete
    4. I too agree with you. I think that the whites truly didn't care about the blacks. Also the whites wanted to insult Mamma, that's why they stood in front of the store.

      Delete
  6. This story illuminate aspects of African-American culture because it shows the town and how they lived back when slavery and segregation was going on. African-Americans lived a normal life but with the hatred of white people. They didn't like them. It was strange to me that white people could go into a black town but African-Americans wouldn't and they wouldn't even be talked to. Like someone could say Hello or how are you. But no one did.

    This story illuminate aspects of African-American history because it takes place in Arkansas. Arkansas is one of the places where slavery and segregation took place. I find it interesting how people can hate other people for the color of their skin. It doesn’t mean that they are any less different than you or incapable. They just have a different skin tone. People actually hate each other and kill each other for their skin color. It just doesn’t seem right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Comment to your first response). I think that blacks were scared of the whites because the whites would make fun of them, tease them, and hurt them. Also the blacks didn't go into the white side of Stamps because of the KKK, which wanted to kill every black person they laid their eyes upon.

      Delete
    2. I agree with the second comment Laura. In my responses I wrote something like this. I am glad most people are over the whole skin color thing, but back then it was a lot more difficult than what we have now.

      Delete
    3. I also agree with the second comment. I think it was really wrong how the blacks were treated just because of their skin color, but I guess the whites just didn't see that they were all the same.

      Delete
  7. The story illuminates aspects of African-American history by showing how African-Americans were treated horribly back in the 1930s, before the Civil Rights Act. An example of when they were treated horribly is when Mamma, Uncle Willie, Bailey, and Maya were ordered around the store to get stuff by the white children. And the white children were yelling at, and didn't care how they were treating Maya and her family. Another example of when African-Americans were treated horribly is when Maya was raped by Mr. Freeman. He didn't care at all that he was emotionally and physically hurting Maya. Also he threatened Maya that if she said anything to anybody about him raping her, that he would kill Bailey. And when I read that, I felt horrible and very sympathetic for Maya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The story illuminate aspects of African-American culture by showing how African-Americans have very close-knit families and communities. An example of this when in Chapter 6, Maya and her family have the world's biggest breakfast that will satisfy you from "9:30 am to 3pm". The meal is very filling because Mamma cooks huge pieces of fried ham, very greasy sliced tomatoes, over easy fried eggs, fried potatoes and onions, yellow hominy, fried perch, and 3 inch thick biscuits. Another example of African-American close-knit community is when in Chapter 6, Maya and her family went to church. And in the church, they sang a lot of songs, and all prayed together. Also my favorite moment of Chapter 6 was when Sister Monroe kept running up the Reverend and screaming "PREACH IT!!!!!!!".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great observation, Liam! Your remark about their church service reflects the spirited black gospel musical tradition—very interactive with the congregation.

      Delete
  9. In the first 3rd of the book, the setting, charters plot etc. illuminate aspects of African American culture. The setting is in Stamps, Arkansas which is a small town and being times in the 1930's segregation is at its peak in the South. Slavery and the Civil was happened recently and on top of all of that the Great Depression comes along. It the beginning of the book (pg. 7) it is mentioned that cotton sales are down and many people can barely afford to live. As a black women, Stamps was a tough place to live. The character Anne Henderson, referred to as Momma or Grandma, portrays the African American Culture by going to church, as most African American did, and praying for the white children that come around her yard. Margurite and Bailey also portray the African American culture. Margurite and Bailey get beatings just as many children did when they acted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of all the difficult ways it was for black women to live in Stamps! I'm glad you shared that. I'm glad she prayed for the ones she had he differences with. That shows the great character she has.

      Delete
  10. The story illuminate aspects of African-American culture by showing how African-Americans are so connected to each other and everyone knows everyone. An example is in chapter 6 when Maya's family had the giant homemade breakfast with everyone gathered. It lasted a long time too. Another thing demonstrated their culture was the separation of whites and blacks. They didn't speak and that worried me. I understand their skin color is different, but that doesn't mean they are a whole other species. They're all the same if you took off the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The story illuminates aspects of African- American history in multiple ways and the black/white segregation.It was so separate that black children didn't think white people were real. Like they were some sort of fake creation. In chapter 5 when the three girls were making fun of the Grandmother in her shop, they described it as their white "smell" invaded the store and it didn't have its usual "black" regular smell. I;m glad the Grandmother tried to be civil after the girl flashed her to try to get the best of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think it was good that the grandmother acted mature when the white girls were making fun of her. Also I think it was sad that the black children didn't even think that the white people were real because of the segregation.

      Delete
    2. Yes, this is an important moment. Mamma's dignified response reflects her nobility of character, in stark contrast to the cruel teasing of the white girls. Being white certainly doesn't make one morally superior.

      Delete
    3. I completely agree with you. I think it really showed Mamma's responsibility when she was able to let the white girls do their little mockery scene without losing her cool. It's so pathetic that one of the girls flashed her just for a reaction.

      Delete
  12. The story illuminate aspects of African-American culture in many ways. African-Americans are such a tight knit community that help each other get by. An example is in chapter 6 when Maya's whole entire family had a grand homemade breakfast with everyone together. Also the church goers seem to have a tight bond with each other. Another thing that demonstrated their culture was the separation of whites and blacks. There is so much emphasis on the segregation between blacks and whites in this book. They don't even speak nor see each other. Another example is in the first chapter, it is mentioned that the blacks worked cotton fields for a living. The white people were also referred to was rich until the depression hit them like a curveball, missing the blacks for almost two years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. In the book everyone knows everyone. So they can watch over each other.

      Delete
    2. I agree that a large part of african american culture is shown through the tight bonds they have.

      Delete
  13. The story illuminates aspects of African-American culture by how the African-Americans are all close and all are friendly with each other. Another example was in chapter 6 when Maya's family had a giant breakfast with everyone together. Another example is how all the people who went to church sang, and prayed. Also the separation of the blacks and whites, and how the segregation was so bad that they didn't speak to each other, and they had their own parts of town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you because the African-American culture was very close knit, yet I think the stayed away from the whites because they were afraid that they were going to be insulted and beaten.

      Delete
  14. The story illuminates aspects of African American history in many ways. The way they are all connected through church, and their church rituals showed culture. The book also has some segregation, where blacks & whites wouldn't even talk to each other, this is important in history. The culture in the book is also very connected because everybody knew everybody else and that is shown during the big family breakfast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, segregation was a large part of the African American history. The fact that they didn't even talk or see each other very much is very sad.

      Delete
  15. This story connect to contemporary African-American culture because it illuminates the hard ships. African-Americans have had a long history of violence against them and because of them. They also have had crimes caused by them and onto them. African-Americans most are good people but some are involved in gangs and violence. The essay that we read in class on thursday was saying how a black boy born in 2001 has a one in three chance of going to prison in his life time. The two kids in this book are smart and know now how to protect them selves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on how you explained the connection between, sadly, violence and gangs. Also the essay we read in class does connect to this book because it does show how African-American culture is nowadays, sadly.

      Delete
    2. I agree I wish they had showed that...

      Delete
    3. The essay we read addresses ONE aspect of African-American culture—and a challenge for American society—today. Of course, not all African-American males are pursuing that path.

      Delete
  16. How Maya experiences a "coming of age" story is when she starts to be called racial insults and when Bailey wants to distance himself from her. An example of this is when Mrs. Cullinan calls Maya Mary, then Margaret, refusing to call her Maya because she wants to tell Maya who's boss. Another instance when Maya experiences a "coming of age" story is when Bailey and her go near some train tracks and Bailey runs to the other side of the tracks right in front of an oncoming train just to get away from her. And finally, a reason Maya experiences a "coming of age" story is when Bailey gets on a train and runs away from home for two weeks. Also, I don't understand why Bailey would want to run away from his home for two weeks? It just doesn't make sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with the Bailey running away from his home part. I mean for the most part he was pretty much safe and well taken care of and pretty much provided with everything he needs to be able to function so why would he want to run away from all of that!?!

      Delete
  17. How the story's setting and culture illuminates African-American history is by showing readers how African-Americans lived back then. For example Mamma lives in a somewhat rundown, old store that is made of wood and is basically the center of town. Another example of the setting in Black history is the way that Stamps is laid out. One part of town is all white while the other is all black. And finally an example of the culture in Black History is how the whites still treat blacks with disrespect, rudeness, and insults. An example of this is when the dentist wouldn't give Maya a check-up even though she was in need of a dentist. Also I don't understand why the dentist would not even look in Maya's mouth? What is she going to do, bite you or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liam I totally agree with the dentist part, Maya was in major need of a dentist check-up and the dentist would not look at her teeth which in my mind is just being flat out rude!

      Delete
    2. I was thinking the same thing Liam. He's a doctor for a reason, why does it have to be just whites that go to him. Even though Momma did something for him he wasn't willing to help Maya and that's sad.

      Delete
    3. I agree, I enjoy how the book takes us back in time and we can see how African Americans were treated.

      Delete
    4. A couple of thoughts about the dentist refusing to treat Maya: (1) Many whites considered black people unclean. (2) If he treated a black person, his white clients might consider him contaminated for this reason. Social peer pressure.

      Delete
    5. As Ms. Vail said, I see why he refused to help her, but I don't agree on how the dentist valued his social reputation over helping people in need, which is his job.

      Delete
    6. Calista, I certainly don't agree with the doctor's surrendering to social convention either. But that may have been part of his reasoning: if he treats black people, then his white clients might abandon him. He risks social scorn and obviously didn't have the courage to do the right thing.

      Delete
  18. How the story's setting and culture illuminates African-American history is by explaining to the reader how run down things were so to speak. The whites had a much nicer side of town than the blacks did! Mamma's shop was quite run down. Also it reflects how the blacks were treated. They were treated with disrespect and along with many insults that were thrown at them daily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. African-Americans were poorer and didn't have as nice of places to live as white's.

      Delete
  19. Maya experiences coming of age in a few different ways. When Bailey gets on the train to leave and run away from his family for a couple weeks I think that was hard on Maya even though they had been sort of drifting apart from each other once he was gone I think it hit her how much she cared about him and how much she needed him. So when he was gone I think Maya learned to grow up in a sense. Another instance was when her teacher refused to call her "Maya" because she wanted to show her who was in charge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it was totally hard for Maya when her brother left. Her brother and her use to be very close and I was kinda sad to see them separate.

      Delete
    2. Seperating from her brother must have been hard, but I don't think it was much of a coming of age moment, just a hardship she had to go through.

      Delete
    3. I guess it could have been see as a coming of age moment, parting with the ones you love, but it's not like it was death. I think death makes a person really come of age.

      Delete
  20. Maya experience a "coming-of-age" moment when she stands up for her brother getting beaten. She stepped in front of her brother and was brave enough to try and help him. It didn't work but I still think that she showed that she was growing up and becoming more mature about the things that happen around her and to her brother. Also, when she finds a new friend I feel like she grew up as a person. She now knows that she can connect with a person. Finally, I think she was "coming of age" when she stood up to Mrs. Cullinan for calling her Mary and not her real name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Maya was very brave when she stood up for her brother although, many people are brave as kids. It doesn't exactly show coming of age because you can stand up for somebody but not actually be grown up.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I see where you're coming from. Her brother has been beaten before though and she has never had the voice to say anything, so I think it was an important part that she did.

      Delete
    3. Maya's bravery shows somewhat a coming of age moment, so I agree with you. I think the more mature you are you can stand up for yourself or others more

      Delete
    4. Yeah I get what you're saying and I feel like it could go either way. I had forgotten about that fact that he had been beaten before. I get what you're saying!

      Delete
  21. Maya experiences coming of age in a few different ways. For example when Bailey got on the train run away from his home for a few weeks. That must have been very hard for her. She use to have such a strong bond with her brother but they had been drifting apart for a while. When he was gone I think Maya learned to become independent and function on her own. Another instance was when her teacher refused to call her "Maya" because she wanted to show Maya that Maya is not the one in charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really understand why the teacher didn't call her by her nickname. I don't think that was necessary of her teacher.

      Delete
  22. How the story's setting and culture illuminates African-American history is by explaining how everything happens in Forks. The whites had a lot more money and had a lot better side of town than the African Americans got. Mamma's shop seems small and not in very good shape anymore. Also throughout the reading it mentions how the blacks were treated by the white people. They were treated with disrespect and not very nicely. Many were slandered with insults every single day. It honestly is astounding how much hate the African Americans put up with. I wouldn't have sat there and kept my temper under control as I got hated on like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised to how they let the white treat them so badly and don't say anything. I think that shows that they are being the bigger person in the situation.

      Delete
  23. The story's setting illuminates African-American history in Stamps. For example, the separation between black and whites. The blacks are on the "bad" side of town; the whites are on the clean "good" side of town. That is shown when they describe Momma's store, a run down home in the center of town for all the blacks to locate. Finally, they have the things whites can do that blacks can't. Whites are aloud to come into Momma's store in the black side of town, but blacks aren't aloud to go to a dentist office on the white side of town. I find it really sad how the blacks have helped out the whites and get nothing in return.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The story illuminates culture African-American history by showing in the setting how the towns and the black part of town was run down and old, while the white part of town is nice house's with expensive things inside. Some/most African-Americans back then didn't have a lot of money because their were more white people in the area's. White people thought African-Americans were not like them. They weren't hired by people so they wouldn't get a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, and its very sad that whites wouldn't let african americans associate with them for such ignorant reasons.

      Delete
  25. Maya experience a "coming-of-age" moment when she meets her new friend. I believe this is a coming of age moment because instead of herself watching out for her family, now she finally takes time apart from herself to connect with a person. You can come of age while your young, but having your first friend is a really important part in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think that meeting new friends can open people up to different cultures in the area and from around the world.

      Delete
  26. This story connect to contemporary African-American culture because it shows examples of how some blacks in the last decade appear now. Not ALL participate in these activities, but blacks were known for high crime rates, rapes, gangs, and drug usage. In the story it relates to the rape scene most.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Maya experienced a coming of age moment in a few different ways. When Bailey ran away for a few weeks. I think it must have been really hard for Maya because her and Bailey were so close, but then they started growing apart. While Bailey was gone I think Maya started to learn to take care of herself. Another way that Maya experiences a coming of age moment is when she makes a new friend. I think it helped Maya to have someone else besides her family that she could connect with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you saying that Maya learned to take care of herself when Bailey left!

      Delete
  28. My free response is that do you guys think that Maya will be a good mom? Why did she hook up with a neighborhood boy? Will he stay with her or leave her like Maya's mom went through?

    My other free response is do you think it was appropriate for Vivian to kick Bailey, the gangster, out for getting with a prostitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that Maya will be a good mom with time, I think that it is going to be hard for her in the beginning but overtime it will become easier for her and I feel like he will stick around for awhile and then will leave but you never know! he could surprise me and stick around!

      Delete
    2. I agree, I think that she will be a good mother because she doesn't want the same things happen to her and her child, like her mother and her. I think that she will protect the kid and take care of it unlike her mother because she knew how much it hurt her.

      Delete
    3. I also think that she will be a good mother. I think that she has grown over time and she has had enough experience to know what right and not for her child. Also, she didn't have that mother figure in her life so I'm sure she doesn't want her child to live like that!

      Delete
  29. The story illuminates coming of age when Bailey runs away. When Bailey runs away Maya had to fend for herself for the time being. I think that this was very important to the story because when Maya gets older she wont have someone always looking over her shoulder making sure that she is okay like Bailey does. Another reason why I think its important is that she gets a chance to not depend on anybody else but her self. A chance to be independent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you she did have to fend for herself! Bailey running away played a large part in Maya's coming of age!

      Delete
    2. I agree with you. I think that Maya had to grow up and get more independent when Bailey left. Also I think it was a "wake up call" for her.

      Delete
  30. I totally agree with you saying that once she gets older she is not going to always have someone looking over and out for her! I think that when Bailey ran away it put things in to perspective for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree! I think it really was a wake up call.

      Delete
  31. My free response is Why would people let other people back then bully other people because of their skin color? I know that times were like that and it's human nature to pick on people about little things and judge. But really?! Like seriously don't other people have other things better to do than tell people that no they can't sit with them at lunch or no they may not come into this store because of their skin color. I am not saying that I wouldn't be any different then the rest of the white people but I hope that I wouldn't be as rude and mean to them as the rest of the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! My free response is related to yours! Bullying due to race is very ignorant and I don't get why is is even a thing!!

      Delete
    2. Agreed! A human is a human no matter the color of there skin or any other physical trait that might be different from ours.

      Delete
  32. My free response would be I don't get how segregation is even a thing. I get that African Americans have a different skin color but honestly how does that change anything about them? White people can be bad people too… Somebodies skin color shouldn't affect any judgements made towards them. In my eyes everyone is equal until their actions prove otherwise. I don't get how it is so hard for people to comprehend the fact that skin color doesn't affect anything! I know segregation was large back then; I don't get it! I would share a water fountain, restaurant, school, doctors office, dentist or any building with anyone of any race; unless they give me a reason to hate them, I wont.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thalia I totally agree, a human is a human regardless of their skin color or any other physical appearances whether it is being handicapped or having any disability or health issue. Someone should not be judged until they do something signifiant enough like you said. And even then only that one person should be judged for example if the person is black that action of ONE person should not reflect back on all the blacks. Which I think was the problem back then is that when one black person does something it gives the whole race a bad rap!

      Delete
    2. Thalia you make a great point! I think everyone should read this and understand that it's what's on the inside that counts, not the outside. Just because the skin is different, doesn't mean the personality and heart is different. I agree 100% with your statement that people need an accurate reason to be judged. "I hate him because he is black" is NOT an acceptable excuse.

      Delete
    3. I agree with you. I think that Whites back then wanted power so they just took these kind, innocent people from Africa and brought them to their plantation to force the to work.

      Delete
  33. I totally agree! It really shows how blacks were treated and it's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Maya experiences a coming-of-age journey from the beginning of the book to the end. First, she has the tragic experience of rap, where she finds the courage to stand up for herself. Soon after, she makes a friend at school who she can connect with and talk, too. Finally, she didn't know if she was lesbian or not so she decided to have an affair with a black boy in the neighborhood. She ended up pregnant and now has a child to care for. I think that she will be a good mom and I hope that she is there for her child when her child is having troubles like she had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You explained that very well! And I agree with you on your though about her being a good mother figure in her child's life.

      Delete
    2. Great response Karley, I like how you perfectly described her coming-of-age throughout the story. GREAT JOB!!!

      Delete
  35. Free responce: What are your guys thoughts about her decision to have an affair with a black boy in the neighborhood when she thought she was lesbian?
    I think that it was wrong for her to use her friend just to know how she feels about her body. I didn't think that was going to help her discover anything but maybe now that she has a child she will leave it be and just be a single mom. What are your guys thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you saying that it was wrong of her to use her friend to know how she feels about her body...Overtime she would have figured it out and to use her friend to try to figure that out I think was pretty wrong and selfish of her. I think this question can have different views from different people!

      Delete
    2. If Maya thought the affair was the right thing to do to make her mind up, I think that's her decision and no one else's opinions are valid.

      Delete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  37. My free response is how culture nowadays, (both White and Black), are very quick to think that something is wrong with themselves or others. For instance, when Maya thought that she was a lesbian even though she wasn't. Another example is how kids always say to other kids, "oh well you're gay" and at the same time either hurting their feelings or just making them very mad. Finally, when people automatically asume that a person is gay/lesbian just by looking at them. I don't understand why people do this kind of stuff? I just doesn't make sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Bailey's coming of age throughout this story is unique. For instance, in the beginning, he was a role model for Maya, when she needed help and advise. Another example is when he stays out until midnight, watching a movie, then gets yelled at by Momma. A third example is when he starts to get more distant from Maya. Finally, an example of when Bailey comes of age is when he moves out of the house and wants to finally get away from Maya. But I still don't understand why Bailey gets so distant from Maya.

    ReplyDelete